The Ball and Chain Steak Restaurant Hobart is situated in the heart of historic Salamanca Place.
Construction of Salamanca Place and the Hobart wharf area commenced at the instigation of Governor Arthur in 1830 and took chain gangs of convicts some 18 months to build. An amazing amount of land reclamation around the waterfront was undertaken, and even today none of the splendid buildings constructed during that time has ever shown fault with its foundations.
Number 87 Salamanca, the present day site of the Ball and Chain, was originally called “Haig’s Store”, after the original owner, Captain Andrew Haig, and was used as offices by Shipping Agents dealing with wool, whale oil, food and grain stocks.
In 1842, the building was sold to Mr. George Reid for 2000 pounds sterling, and the property passed from his hands to the Kennedy family in 1891, again for 2000 pounds sterling.
Today, the Ball and Chain is a popular, modern eating house, specialising in steaks, local seafood and game dishes, all cooked on an authentic charcoal grill. Our fine cuisine, casual atmosphere and reputation for excellence appeal to both locals and tourists alike.